If you plan to buy web hosting, there are many things that you should look for. You want to know that you are getting the best deal and that the server is well managed. This is especially the case if you are hosting a business web site. Here are some things that you should look for:
- You want to buy web hosting, not use free web hosting. Why? The main reason is that free web hosting imposes advertising onto your website, which can give it a highly unprofessional appearance. Large banners over your business page can be confusing and distracting and so can pop-up windows. No one wants this type of interruption on a business page, so be sure that you are paying for your page so that you do not have to deal with the advertising that pays for the “free” web hosting.
- Check the size limitations and types of files that you can upload to your website. If you are restricted when it comes to HTML or GIF/JPG files, then that particular web host may not be what you need, and you might have to look at different options.
- How reliable is the site and what is the access speed? If your site is down all of the time, you may be losing a lot of visitors. Sometimes when people find your site in the search engines and cannot access your page, they will simply go to a competitor’s website and never return. Slow access can also be very frustrating and is not what you want for your business’ web site.
- When you buy web hosting, you want the best technical support that you can get. You need support that is readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, because most serious issues do not occur during regular business hours. Test out the availability of your host’s support by emailing them at a variety of odd times when most people would not be working to see if they are actually available.
- How much web space is available? You want to ensure that it is adequate for your needs, especially if you need to expand your website immediately or in the future. The average web site uses about 5MB, but needs vary and depend on the amount of pictures used by your page, sound files and video clips, etc.
When you buy web hosting, if your business is based in the UK, you want web hosting that is also based in the UK. This is because you want your company’s website to be hosted where your business is based. It’s just good business practice. It also provides your customers with a faster browsing experience, since they will not be trying to load a web page that is hosted overseas.
If you already have web hosting and decide that you need to move your web hosting to a different host, choose a host that can handle this for you. It can be very stressful for a business owner to try to move their own hosting to another host because they may be worried that they will lose information or mess up their website. Always choose a host that is cloud based when you buy web hosting so that there is no downtime if a server fails.