- 1 cat fleas
- 2 How to get rid of cat fleas
- 2.1 Use a flea comb
- 2.2 Bathing the cat
- 2.3 Washing the mattress
- 2.4 Vacuuming
- 2.5 Getting rid of fleas in the yard of the house
- 3 home ways to get rid of cat fleas
- 3.1 Using a lemon decoction
- 3.2 Using lemon and chamomile
- 3.3 Use baking soda and salt
- 4 other home ways to get rid of fleas
- 5 Using medicines to get rid of fleas
People who raise cats in their homes suffer from many diseases or germs, and they can also be infected with fleas, and fleas are small animals similar in shape and size to lice, but they are quick to fly and jump, which leads to their spread throughout the house through their eggs, and their transmission as well to the clothes of individuals The house and their bodies, which causes severe discomfort in the home, and there are several ways to get rid of fleas that we will mention in this article.
How to get rid of cat fleas
Use a flea comb
The flea comb is one of the methods by which fleas and their eggs can be removed from cat hair, and among the steps to be followed when using the comb are the following:
- Dip the comb in hot soapy water after each pass on the hair, to remove fleas from the comb.
- Combing in the direction of hair growth.
- Repeat the steps more than once to get the desired results.
The bath will kill the majority of the fleas remaining on the cats after the combing step, and in this process it is not necessary to use a shampoo designed to kill or drown the fleas, but a regular bath with the use of mild cat shampoo or baby shampoo is sufficient, and despite that it is possible to use rice shampoo, or eucalyptus, lavender, or shampoos that are high in citrus; They all work as a repellent for fleas.
On the other hand, some people may want to use shampoo designed to get rid of fleas, and in this case it should be used as an aid to get rid of them and not as a main treatment, nor should it be used as a preventive measure, as in these two cases the cat will need to shower daily, which is not healthy for cats.
To kill fleas, the bedding in the house, including sheets, pillow covers, and carpets, must be washed, as it must be entered in batches into the washing machine, washed with warm or hot water, then transferred to the hot dryer until completely dry, and to ensure the final disposal of fleas can be repeated This step again, with reference to avoiding washing with cold water even if the fabric instructions stipulate that; As heat is necessary to kill fleas and their eggs; If it is impossible to clean the mattress, it must be disposed of and replaced with a new one.
Regular vacuuming will reduce fleas and their eggs, which are found in carpets, cracks in wooden floors, curtains, or upholstered furniture. Therefore, it is recommended to vacuum all of the aforementioned, in addition to the areas where the pet sleeps and the areas where it eats food. Finally, the vacuum cleaner container must be emptied and the garbage bags disposed directly to prevent fleas from leaking again.
Getting rid of fleas in the yard of the house
There are many products available in the market that can get rid of fleas in the yard of the house or outdoors in general, and before use, you must read the product instructions well; Because some of them are toxic, and for use, the product is suspended in the water hose used to irrigate the garden, then sprayed in all places containing fleas, with the need to stay away from flowers or vegetables.
Home ways to get rid of cat fleas
Use a lemon decoction
The smell of natural oils emanating from the citrus decoction helps kill flea insects. This method is used by cutting three to four lemons into soft slices, placing them in a pot full of water, then boiling them on the fire for half an hour, then removing the decoction of lemon from the fire. filtered it, then poured it into a spray can; This is for use in spraying carpets, pets, and other places where fleas are seen. And the lemon boil can be replaced with a mixture of lavender oil and water for people who do not prefer the smell of citrus.
Use lemon and chamomile
Lemon is an anti-insect citrus, and to kill fleas, lemon juice can be mixed with a little water in a part-to-part ratio (1:1), then put it in a spray bottle, and spray a little of it on the cat. As for chamomile, it can be used by adding an appropriate amount of it to the water, leave it until it boils, then leave it aside, and filter it as soon as it cools down, after which the remnants of chamomile are taken, then soak a piece of cloth in the chamomile infusion, and apply the mixture to the whole body of the cat.
Use baking soda and salt
The mixture of baking soda and salt contributes to suffocating and killing fleas, and it can be used by mixing two equal amounts of baking soda and salt in water, and spraying it on the carpet, pet beds, and all other places where fleas are present, and leaving it for three to four hours, then cleaning it well with a vacuum cleaner .
Other home ways to get rid of fleas
There are many home remedies that can be used to get rid of fleas in cats, including the following:
- Sawdust: Fleas hate the smell of sawdust, so they can be placed around the cat's sleeping place, or around the garden of the house, or spray cedar tree oil on their fur, or by placing several drops on the cat's collar, as it is a safe oil.
- Spices: The use of spices is one of the ways to get rid of fleas in cats, by mixing a teaspoon of oregano oil with three teaspoons of olive oil, and placing the mixture on the areas where fleas congregate most, such as: the tail and the neck. , behind the ears, and the abdomen, and rosemary leaves can also be used by grinding them, and placing the powder on the places where cats sit in the house.
- Salt: Salt helps kill fleas on cats, and helps kill fleas and their eggs that are found on carpets. It is used by sprinkling salt on carpets, or by mixing an amount of it with water to wipe hard surfaces.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar helps get rid of fleas in cats, and it is used by mixing two parts of apple cider vinegar with one part of water, then spraying the mixture on the cat's fur.
Use medication to get rid of fleas
It is recommended to consult a veterinarian to identify the types of medications intended for the eradication of fleas, and it is preferable to purchase medications from the veterinarian himself; This is because some of the medications sold in pet stores may harm cats, and it is possible to choose between immediate topical medications, or oral medications, and it is also important to inform the doctor of the presence of children or pregnant women in the house; This is so that he can determine the safest medicine for them and for the cat.